Rose Seidler House
ROSE SEIDLER HOUSE - MODERNIST DESIGN OF THE 1950S
Rose Seidler House, built 1948-1950, is one of the most uncompromising modernist houses in Australia.
The house has been carefully restored to its controversial 1950s scheme. It incorporates the modernist features of open planning, minimal colour schemes, mod cons, appliances and labour saving devices that were so new to Australia at the time.
Its original furniture by Saarinen, Hardoy and Eames forms one of the most important post war design collections in Australia.
Rose Seidler House was the first commission for internationally renowned architect, Harry Seidler. He came to Australia from New York to build the house for his parents, Rose and Max, who lived there until 1967. It is still closely linked to two other neighbouring Seidler designed houses which formed the original 2.6 hectare family estate.
Harry Seidler, the Viennese-born architect, came to Australia imbued with the philosophy of modernism. He had studied in America with Walter Gropius, founder of the Bauhuas school of design, and with other Bauhaus teachers Joseph Albers and Marcel Breuer.
Awarded the Sulman Medal in 1952, Rose Seidler House has been a very influential house, stimulating much social comment and intellectual debate.
Media Enquiries T: 02 8239 2318