Rouse Hill House & Farm
ROUSE HILL HOUSE & FARM – SIX GENERATIONS OF FAMILY HISTORY
Rouse Hill House & Farm was taken up in 1813 by the free settler Richard Rouse and his family. Seven generations of the family have lived on the property and a direct descendant of the original founders was in residence until as recently as 1993.
The exteriors, interiors and furnishings of the Georgian sandstone house have survived largely intact. The Historic Houses Trust has always taken a subtle, non-invasive approach to preserving the property's fabric. Visiting Rouse Hill House & Farm can be likened to leafing through three dimensional diaries, each recording the lives of the seven generations of the family who have lived there and added to its richness.
The property was once the centre of a 1200 acre estate and contains possibly the earliest surviving 'dry weather' garden in Australia. There are approximately 20 outbuildings which range from the impressive 1875 brick stable by the important architect J. Horbury Hunt to an early timber slab piggery; from a fancifully Victorian summer house to a vernacular timber cottage with corrugated iron annex.
Media Enquiries T: 02 8239 2318