A gift in your will
A special way of supporting the HHT and its vital work of preserving and sharing our built and cultural heritage is to leave a gift in your will, also known as a bequest or legacy. Through such a gift, donors will know the values and ideals they share with the HHT will live on – helping us create a future for our past.
All legacies, whether big or small make such a crucial contribution. They allow us to carry out conservation work at our properties, work on special projects and fund new acquisitions. No legacy income is spent on overheads or general administration - it is used right at the heart of our work.
If you are considering leaving a gift to the HHT please find below some further information below about where to direct your gift, types of gifts, making or changing a will & some suggested wording to take to your solicitor. Our HHT Foundation staff are always happy to help you with any queries you may have and we encourage you to discuss your ideas with your solicitor.
Foundation for the Historic Houses Trust
10 Macquarie Street Sydney NSW 2000
T 02 8239 2255
F 02 8239 2455
WHERE TO DIRECT YOUR GIFT
If the legacy gift is in the form of money or shares, the funds are directed to the HHT Foundation, a registered charity set up to accept gifts of this nature. You may instruct the Foundation to direct this gift to a special purpose such as the Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection or the Endangered Houses Fund, or you may wish to identify another special purpose. Alternatively, you may wish to make your gift for general purposes, this way the Trust can use your gift where it is needed most. The majority of our supporters make their donation in this way.
If the legacy gift is a specific property, special artwork, book/s, furnishings or objects they are directed to the HHT, which is itself a registered charity set up to accept special items of this nature.
However you direct your gift, the HHT takes great pains to use funds wisely and effectively for the benefit of all. If, in the event that it is not possible to place or use the item(s) gifted to the HHT, you can determine if they may be sold, with the proceeds used in accordance with your wishes. We appreciate that personal belongings are very special and any such transactions are handled with great care and sensitivity.
TYPES OF GIFTS
Willed gifts take all forms and can include money, land, buildings or chattels. How these gifts are given can be divided into the following ways:
- You may leave the HHT a specific item such as land, buildings, a special artwork, objects or furnishings.
- You may leave the HHT Foundation a specific amount of money or a percentage of your estate or shares.
- Once your family and others have been provided for first, you may nominate the Foundation or Historic Houses Trust as an alternate beneficiary for the residue of your estate. In this way, you may leave some or all of your estate to relatives or friends for so long as they live, after which the residue vests in the HHT or the HHT Foundation.
- The HHT or HHT Foundation can be the beneficiary of the whole of your estate.
MAKING OR CHANGING A WILL
Making a will isn’t complicated and needn’t be expensive:
- First, appoint a professional adviser - usually a solicitor.
- Next, work out how much you have to leave, including the total sum of your property, money and possessions, less any outstanding mortgages or loans
- Decide who you want to benefit from your Will. For example, your family, friends and favourite charities or good causes
- Choose executors to make sure your wishes are carried out. These can be professional advisers, friends or family members – or one of each
- If you have an existing will and you would like to add a gift, you can do so by adding a codicil, which is an addition, alteration or supplement to your existing will.
- Finally, keep your Will safe and make sure your executors know where to find it. Give one copy to your solicitor or bank for safe keeping.
SUGGESTED WORDING TO TAKE TO YOUR SOLICITOR
Depending on the nature of your gift, some suggested wording could include:
"I devise and bequeath to the
a) Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales of The Mint, 10 Macquarie Street, Sydney, NSW
b) Foundation for the Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales of The Mint, 10 Macquarie Street, Sydney, NSW:
a) property; AND/OR
b) the sum of $; OR
c) % of my estate; OR
d) the residue of my estate OR
(e) the whole of my estate;
free of all duties, taxes, levies and charges and I direct that the receipt of the Director of the Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales (or General Manager of the Foundation for the Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales) shall be sufficient discharge to my executor(s)."
Our HHT Foundation staff are always happy to help you with any queries you may have and we encourage you to discuss your ideas with your solicitor.
The HHT is always extremely grateful to receive legacy gifts. Unless there has been a request made for anonymity, all legacy gifts of $10,000+ are recorded and acknowledged on the HHT Acknowledgement Board at The Mint, and in our Annual Report.
If you wish, your pledged gift can also be publicly acknowledged during your lifetime.
Our Foundation staff are always happy to help you with any queries you may have and we encourage you to discuss your ideas with your solicitor.
Foundation for the Historic Houses Trust